The Ramblings of a Cuteasaurus

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

An interesting question in the age of "blogging"

While there are blogs for the purpose of commenting on political and social events, I've noticed that my posts are often about myself and what I'm up to. Since blogs are often a sort of "public diary" do they count as "communication." Let me be more specific: when I say "communication" I mean of the type that happens between friends. So, if someone has my blog address and I post about what's going on in my life (and don't call, email, IM, etc.) can I consider myself "in touch" with my friends? While a blog does have the ability to allow comments, my thought is no. However, I'm interested in hearing the thoughts of some of my more "techno-savvy" friends.

4 Comments:

  • At May 26, 2005 at 1:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    If you, on a fairly regular basis, post on your blog and your friends comment and you comment on your friends' blogs, then I would say that you're "in touch." If you have absolutely no other methods of communication and your only effort is posting about yourself, then that's one-sided (and self-centered) communication. At least that's my initial reaction.

     
  • At May 26, 2005 at 11:54 AM, Blogger Cuteasaurus said…

    So I guess what it boils down to is: If you have a blog that your friends (you assume) read, are you excused from messaging/emailing/calling/etc?

     
  • At May 26, 2005 at 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually, I don't think it's a tech issue as much as a soc. issue. I, like Kennon, often post for the rest of you. Such was the case in India...much better than mass e-mails saying "I am now leaving for Delhi/I have now reached Delhi/I am eating steak". (when nothing is happening--like right now--I post rants and such, but that's a different story)

    That being said, I don't think it excuses you from e-mailing/IMing/calling individuals, unless it's difficult to do so (e.g., when I was in India in '03, and had limited time in internet cafes). Blogs are like a group convo, and there's something to be said for one-on-one communication.

     
  • At May 27, 2005 at 12:19 PM, Blogger Cuteasaurus said…

    Awesome- then we all agree and I'm not just "being a girl." ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home