The Ramblings of a Cuteasaurus

Thursday, September 23, 2004

If only I had tens of thousands of dollars...

because if I did, I'd buy some spiderman artwork off of e-bay. That's right, the original paintings done by Alex Ross for Spiderman 2 are up for auction. Unfortunately, even the starting bids of $6000 are a little out of my price range. Stupid medical school and its loans. *grrrr*

There aren't many other things going on right now. We have a test Tuesday. Currently, I am trying to pretend it isn't going to happen. I think that will prove unsuccessful though.

I am also working on putting into words exactly what I think about the current state of stem cell research. A little note for those who may (or may not) be interested: currently Bush's plan allows federal funding for the 78 or so established embryonic cell lines. However, only cells from 20 or so can be sent out. Why? The answer is in fact the crux of the entire stem cell debate. Because stem cells can divide indefinitely, politicians like to think that you can limit the lines because you will have cells forever. However, that isn't the way it works, because even if you have cells, that doesn't mean they're viable. Only 20 or so lines can be used because they are the only ones with any relevance anymore. The other ones have mutated and become perverted (no, not like that ;)) to the point that the cells would no longer have any relation to the cells that started the line X years ago. In other words, cell lines burn out. Ok, there are more things I could say, but I'll step off my soapbox, in favor of going to the gym and perhaps the grocery store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home