The Ramblings of a Cuteasaurus

Saturday, September 11, 2004

I feel so violated...

Ok, I've been putting off writing about lab this morning because I feel a little traumatized. The lab is about antibiotic resistant bacteria and in order to do it, you need to provide your own sample. Before I go on, let me first say that during orientation weekend, the second years put on a skit about our first lab and the requisite rectal swabs. I thought they were joking. They were not. That's right, the bacteria we needed we had to collect with rectal swabs the morning before lab. So, not only did we have to actually perform said swab, we also had to sit through the AM lecture, knowing that all 119 of our classmates were sitting their with their swabs in their bookbags.

I suppose this is some sort of sick bonding experience. I also suppose the argument that as physicians, we should be comfortable with the human body holds some weight. However, if you recall, I'm the kid who wears jeans in the summer. I don't like swimming because of the high level of skin and spandex involved. Will this experience change my level of comfort? I suppose it's possible I'll start walking around naked, but I wouldn't count on it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home