The Ramblings of a Cuteasaurus

Thursday, December 09, 2004

I feel old today...but in a good way

Today I went to visit my preceptor. I felt pretty crappy this morning, but she was expecting me, so I made the effort to go anyway, luckily for me (and for you cuz now you get to read about it.)

Anyway, I went in, she saw a couple patients and nothing remarkable happened. However, she mentioned that she was going into the OR after and I could come if I wanted, but I didn't have to. Didn't have to?!? I wanted to be a surgeon before I figured out the lifestyle's kinda crappy. I figured it'd be like high school, when I followed around surgeons and I put on the face mask, hair net-type thing, scrubs, and booties for my shoes and I'd stand in the corner and watch. However, she just assumed I'd scrub in. So, I did. Let me tell you, I'm sure I looked like an idiot. I was not exactly sure what needed to be done when and the nurse was nice and kinda told me when I screwed up, but I'm sure she was exasperated with the "newbie." Anyway, I scrubbed in and was already wearing the scrubs and booties and hair thing and mask and then they put me in the over-the-scrubs coat thingy and put on my gloves n stuff. And, so I take my position, in the corner, and someone asks where I should stand they point me right next to my preceptor. What? I get to stand right there, like it's no big deal? So, I'm standing there and during the surgery, they move me so that I can hold the retractor...I could have fainted I was so happy. I got to help!

And the whole thing was no big deal. People just acted like I belonged there. It made me feel kinda old, but old in a good way. Perhaps more like I wasn't an imposter...which it seems like sometimes...

Ok, that's it for now. I'm gonna try and go buy some alcohol while I still have the "old" aura about me...oh wait, I can already do that...There aren't any benefits to getting older, are there? Hmm...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home