The Ramblings of a Cuteasaurus

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Hooray for surprises

Yesterday Emily invites me to go to a movie with a couple of our other female med school friends. She can't remember what the name is...but it has face in the title. Since we tend to go to movies at the Charles Theater, often we see "artsy" movies, so I didn't even try and guess what the movie was and just showed up at the appropriate time. We meet, buy tickets for "Saving Face" and go in. There were some awesome previews... "The Beat that My Heart Skipped" looks really good and I think it's about a guy whose dad runs/works for the mob and so he does too even though he wants to be a concert pianist. Anyway, the movie starts and it turns out that the movie is about these Chinese-Americans living in NYC. As the movie progresses, I realize the movie is primarily about Chinese lesbians. That's right, "Saving Face" is about relationships of which traditional Chinese would not approve...There are plenty of kissing scenes and even a couple sex scenes though really only one that "shows" anything (though it shows plenty). But all in all, it was a beautiful and touching movie. There are plenty of other story arcs, but I won't "ruin" the movie for those of you who might actually see this movie...both of you. ;)

2 Comments:

  • At August 3, 2005 at 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've actually been meaning to see "The Beat...", which has been playing downtown for a few weeks now. But I have not seen Saving Face around here yet. :(

     
  • At August 4, 2005 at 9:29 AM, Blogger Cuteasaurus said…

    Well I wasn't so much trying to say that only 2 ppl would see it, but rather allude to the fact that few people would. But, you're right, if I had to pick 2 it'd be you and Nikhil. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home